Festival Tour Guides – Call Out *CLOSED*Mon 28 Aug 2017
Deadline – 5pm Tuesday 5 September 2017
Location – Castleton, Peak District
This freelance role plays an important part in the visitor experience of two festival installations. We require a total of 5 tour guides to work with us during the festival, two to work with us on Digital Dark Ages and three for Listening to the Dark.
ABOUT THE PROJECTS
Digital Dark Ages // Treak Cliff
Digital Dark Ages is an ambitious site-specific exhibition exploring the possibilities, provocations, and speculations of digital preservation. It features a roster of internationally recognised artists and designers, who have produced a number of new commissions especially for the exhibition.
Listening to the Dark // Peak Cavern
Listening to the Dark is a series of sonic experiments, explorations and expeditions that can be found deep under the earth in the subterranean bunkers of Peak Cavern.
Role: Tour Guide (Freelance)
Responsible to: Senior Producer
Main Purpose of the role
The Tour Guides will be responsible for leading tours for the public of the Digital Dark Ages, situated in Treak Cliff and Listening to the Dark situated in Peak Cavern. Working closely with the project producers the tour guides will be provided with a script and additional FAQ’s that they will use to deliver the tours that will run throughout the festival. Tour Guides will be responsible for managing Front of House responsibilities for the tours. This will involve liaising with the Campaigns Officer on ticketing for the event and greeting audiences upon arrival to the venue.
- Run tours of the exhibition every hour across the festival weekend. The tour will require you to read short scripts, and speak confidently, accurately, and enthusiastically about the works on display
- During the tour, you will have to operate some of the artworks, lighting and audio for each work.
- Before daily tours begin you will be asked to do some basic preparation and exhibition maintenance.
Digital Dark Ages:
Rehearsals Wednesday 20 Sep & Thursday 21 September – with tours on the opening evening of the 21 September 7pm – 9pm (in Castleton)
Tours open to the public Friday 22 September: 13:00-17:00, last tour at 16:00
Saturday 23 – Sunday 24 September: 10:00-17:00, last tour at 16:00
Listening to the Dark:
Rehearsals Thursday 21 September (in Castleton)
Tours open to the public Friday 22 September – Sunday 24 September: 10:30-17:30, last tour at 16:30
The Tour Guides will need to be available and able to travel to Castleton on the dates and times outlined above.
- You will be a confident speaker, with a broad and varied knowledge/interest in digital arts and design/music. You will have the opportunity to meet and discuss the works with the artists, as well as network in the festival.
- The site often has challenging environmental conditions, such as low temperatures and damp depending on rainfall. Positive can-do people, who are able to think on their feet and adapt to situations quickly are a must.
- Ability to work independently on own initiative as well as part of a team
- Previous experience of leading gallery tours or similar
- A full clean drivers licence
- Experience of working on festivals or large-scale events
Listening to the Dark – one day rehearsals and 3 days delivery: £600 inclusive of VAT.
Digital Dark Ages – two days rehearsals and 3 days delivery: £750 inclusive of VAT.
We are unable to cover accommodation but we can cover travel expenses to and from Castleton.
How to apply: please send a CV to Jobs@andfestival.org.uk along with a short statement indicating a preference in either the Digital Dark Ages or Listening to the Dark tour guide role. Closing date is 5pm Tuesday 5 September 2017.
- nnn.freeport.global / OPEN CALL FOR WORKS
- nnn.freeport.global – a conversation with PWR
- AND Festival 2017 Wrap-up: It is an Unknown World
- Digital Dark Ages: Speculations on Digital Decay by Patrizia Costantin
- Beatrice Dillon & the Marrison Loop
- Shift Register
- The Dark Orchestra, notes – by Nkisi
- Undercurrency Vault: 53.3414° N, 1.7921° W – a chat with Toby Heys of AUDINT
- The Hive – a conversation with Ikbal Simamora Lubys and Tony Maryana
- April 2018
- March 2018
- October 2017
- September 2017
- August 2017
- July 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- March 2017
- December 2016
- August 2016
- June 2016
- May 2016
- April 2016
- March 2016
- February 2016
- January 2016
- December 2015
- November 2015
- October 2015
- September 2015
- July 2015
- June 2015
- April 2015
- March 2015
- January 2015
- December 2014
- October 2014
- September 2014
- August 2014
- July 2014
- June 2014
- May 2014
- October 2013
- September 2013
- August 2013
- July 2013
- November 2012
- September 2012
- August 2012
- July 2012
- June 2012
- September 2011
- August 2011