Festival Volunteers – Call OutSun 20 Aug 2017
Deadline: 6pm Friday 1 September 2017
Abandon Normal Devices (AND) is seeking intrepid volunteers to join us for this year’s exhilarating AND Festival, taking place 21 – 24 September 2017 in Castleton, Peak District National Park.
This September, ready yourself to enter the void, shafts and veins of the peaks for a subterranean festival with four days of site specific installations, world premieres and performances. The programme will reveal the earth’s layers, from the drone’s eye view to subterranean bunkers – it will be a prophetic, provocative and uncanny reflection on the verticality of the earth. Going on a journey from inner and outer spaces, the Festival will become a site for the symbolic and sub-conscious, composing of artistic practices which invite us to reflect on groundlessness and deep time. Expect to experience archaeologists of the future unearthing rare sounds, simulated environments and technological ruins.
Over the four days, there will be a mix of free and ticketed events in the form of ambitious digital arts installations, performances, screenings, cave tours, workshops and other live events. Specific to the surrounding area of Castleton, the programme evidences the changes to the earth, from the beginning of the Ice Age to modern-day mining.
Volunteers are crucial members of the AND team and we would love to have you join our team for this unique and special event. As part of the volunteer team you will enjoy a number of benefits, including:
- Experience the festival programme, receiving free tickets
- The opportunity to meet international artists, arts professionals, and fellow volunteers
- The chance to develop skills in team-working, communication & interacting with members of the public of all ages
- Gaining experience in more specialist roles such as marketing or installing outdoor artworks
- Working alongside & learning about different organisations such as The National Trust and Peak District National Park
- Learning about the implementation of Creative Technology in Arts Projects
- Plus, you’ll receive an AND Festival T-shirt to keep as a memento
Volunteer roles for the festival include, but aren’t limited to, the following:
- information assistance
- events management (including the set up and clearing of events)
- market research (conducting surveys, gathering public feedback, interviewing)
- assisting with artwork install and de-install
No particular skills or qualifications are required to volunteer for the Festival, however experience with some of the following would be desirable for certain roles:
- Recording and documentation of events / editing recorded material (requires tech experience, ability to use cameras, microphones, etc. and knowledge of editing software).
- Assisting with install and de-install of artworks (tbc; requires working prior to and after the festival).
- Digital media, updating website content and social media management.
- Market research / Audience Evaluation
Travel & Accommodation
The festival is located in Castleton in the Peak District National Park.
For volunteers not based in the Castleton area – travel to the site and accommodation during the festival will be provided.
Ideally you will be able to commit to 3 full shifts (approx. 8 hours) during the festival, however please still apply even if your availability is less than this.
We will also need some assistance prior to and after the festival, so please indicate on your application form if you are available to spare some time outside of the 21 – 24 September and would like to help.
All volunteers will have to attend a training and briefing session – either in Manchester, Sheffield or in Castleton. Exact date is tbc but will be w/c 4 September.
Additional training required for more specialist roles will be provided by a member of the team during the festival.
Deadline for applications 6pm Friday 1 September 2017
If you need any further information please email: email@example.com
- FREEPORT: Terminal MCR exhibition + talks programme
- Volunteer Call Out: FREEPORT: Terminal MCR
- The Development of the Hive #2: Laurie Crombie
- The Development of The Hive #1: Laurie Crombie
- New Director for AND
- Opportunity: Board Members for Abandon Normal Devices *CLOSED*
- New commissions announced for nnn.freeport.global
- A how-to guide for nnn.freeport.global
- We Dwell Below at Hancock Museum: Documentation
- January 2019
- November 2018
- October 2018
- September 2018
- August 2018
- July 2018
- June 2018
- May 2018
- April 2018
- March 2018
- October 2017
- September 2017
- August 2017
- July 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- March 2017
- December 2016
- August 2016
- June 2016
- May 2016
- April 2016
- March 2016
- February 2016
- January 2016
- December 2015
- November 2015
- October 2015
- September 2015
- July 2015
- June 2015
- April 2015
- March 2015
- January 2015
- December 2014
- October 2014
- September 2014
- August 2014
- July 2014
- June 2014
- May 2014
- October 2013
- September 2013
- August 2013
- July 2013
- November 2012
- September 2012
- August 2012
- July 2012
- June 2012
- September 2011
- August 2011