The Hive at FON and bluedot festival: DocumentationWed 19 Sep 2018
During summer 2018, and as part of our annual touring programme, The Hive travelled to bluedot and FON (full of noises) Festival, showcasing the evolution of the sculptural instrument from its premiere at Peak Cavern during AND Festival 2017.
On the weekend of bluedot 20 – 22 July 2018, The Hive was situated in the arboretum with the gamelan bars resonating throughout the area as they were played by members of the public strolling past. Throughout the day and night, festival goers could play simple compositions, built into the structure, though a mechanical MIDI core.
In August 2018, The Hive carried on its tour at FON Festival, alongside a programme of experimental music and sound installation in Barrow-in-Furness, Cumbria. The Hive was part of FON’s free programme in Barrow Park, with over 500 festival goers experiencing the work over the weekend. Watch the highlights from FON including The Hive:
The Hive collaborator, Laurie Crombie will be travelling to Indonesia later on this year to carry out a residency in the country alongside artists Ikbal Lubys and Tony Maryana. The Hive will then be presented at The Other Festival, a brand new festival of creative technology, music and art in Indonesia as part of UK/ID.
The Hive by Ikbal Lubys and Tony Maryana in collaboration with Laurie Crombie and Charlie Pethica-Electronics. Commissioned and produced by Abandon Normal Devices. Supported using public funding by Arts Council England and British Council, Indonesia.
- AND’s new Board Members and Associate Board Members
- Introducing AND’s new Directors
- The AND podcast with New Cinema Days 2023 keynote speaker, Jemma Desai
- Reflecting on our first-ever New Cinema Days
- Q&A with New Cinema Days Artist, Yambe Tam
- Q&A with New Cinema Days Artist, Che Applewhaite
- 2023 is set to be a year of change for Abandon Normal Devices
- Not Your Usual Kind of Fellowship
- Live AV screening of Distrust Everything by Lorem, featuring Acre