Hydraulic Tower, Birkenhead
Originally designed by engineer Jesse Hartley in 1868, Hydraulic Tower is a derelict pumping station and hydraulic accumulator that supplied hydraulic power to Birkenhead Docks. The 110 ft tower and building sustained considerable damage from bombing during the Second World War and was repaired in a functional, rather than architectural style. The large lantern at the top of the tower was not replaced. The tower is in possession of Peel L&P and will be part of their regeneration project, Wirral Waters and are set to revive this maritime icon as the Maritime Knowledge Hub, an industry led international centre of maritime innovation, research, development and trade.
Tower Road, Wirral Waters, Birkenhead, Wallasey CH41 1AA